Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sleepy Sunday in the Shop

So today after church, spent a little time in the shop experimenting with some walnut on the lathe.  I was trying to make something usefull out of a piece of 4" diameter, 4" long Claro Walnut Burlwood.  I only had the one piece, and I didn't want to just throw it into the firewood pile, so I stuck it on the lathe.  (yes, I know, what else is there!)  This piece had such beautiful grain. Dark and swirly, my favorite!

I wound up making a "ring saver" for my wife.  She is always taking her rings off of her hands when washing dishes or washing her hands in our bath.  She has never lost anything down the drain, but, I thought that this might be nice.  In fact, I made two of them.  I thought that I might list one of them on Etsy, but... sorry, she has kept them both.  Although she did say that one of them looked a little "penile", so even if she didn't keep it, I probably would have put it back on the lathe and reworked it. 

Well, more tomorrow.  I will post some pictures, as well as the bowls that I turned today out of "Ambrosia Maple".  Absolutely beautiful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment